The Earth and Space
1. True or False? The Sun moves round the Earth.
2. What is the name given to the journey a planet takes around a star?
3. What is a Lunar Month?
Another name for February in a Leap Year.
A large crater on the Moon.
The time it takes the Earth to orbit the Moon.
The time it takes the Moon to orbit the Earth.
4. Why would a year on Earth be a different length to a year on Mars?
Because Mars is smaller.
They take different times to orbit the Sun.
There is more gravity on Earth.
Because Mars is further away.
5. Why do we have Day and Night?
The clouds block the Sun's rays.
As the Earth rotates we sometimes face away from the Sun's rays.
The Moon blocks the Sun's rays.
As the Sun rotates its rays go a different way.
6. What happens to give us seasons?
The weather gets better.
The Sun gets higher and lower in the sky.
The Earth gets closer or further away from the Sun.
The Poles are tilted into and away from the sun's rays at different times of the year.
7. What does Solar System mean?
There are 9 planets in the Solar System
When planets orbit a star.
The Earth goes round the Sun.
8. Which is the nearest star to the Earth?
9. Roughly, how many days does it take the moon to orbit the Earth?
10. At what time of day would you expect to see the shortest shadow?